Thursday, August 1, 2013

Always Ready

Last week I was planning on doing this intense hike called the skyline. You’re not going to find it on the map or in the hiking books; it’s one of those hikes where you have to know people to find out about it. It’s a 20-mile hike that encompasses 4 summits and an incredible ridge walk.  I was supposed to do this hike and was really excited about it, but wasn’t able to go. As I got up early to start the hike, I went over to the sink and thought I was going to be sick—and that’s the last thing I remember. My roommates tell me they woke up to a super loud thud; the thud being my head hitting our wood floor. I found out later I had passed out, hit my head really hard, wasn’t breathing, and didn’t have any eye movement for 2 minutes. One of my roommates ran into the kitchen screaming that I wasn’t breathing and needed help right away. Rangers with sirens, ambulances, and even a helicopter was called in (they cancelled that one though) and I was taken to the ER in Browning, Montana. Anyways, they still don’t know why I passed out and what happened when I hit my head, so this next week and when I return home to Michigan will consist of multiple appointments with neurologists and cardiologists. So I wasn’t able to hike that amazing skyline. As I was bumming about this, and now not able to drive or do any strenuous hiking, I was reminded that I must, at any time, be ready to give up what I had planned. This event happened so fast and I was not prepared to deal with this at all, but I know from past events that must not bank on anything to happen. I was reminded that my life consists of moving to the rhythm of God’s grace. I don’t know what will come out of all this, but I do know that there is a reason, and if I have to leave Glacier National Park because of it, I could do that knowing God has blessed me with many amazing experiences all ready. It’s not easy to think about our lives changing so fast, but it also keeps us in the present—exactly where God wants us, and being thankful for what he is blessing us with in each moment. I hope I don’t have to return home, but if that is where God is calling me, I’m ready.

Last week a guy that I called my friend died on the mountain from a fall. It's been difficult around here dealing with 2 employee deaths in a 17-day span. Please pray for healing for his family, especially his brother who is also working out here in Glacier. This is another example of how things change so fast. One minute we are all having fun climbing mountains and the next we are grieving the death of a friend. I am becoming more thankful each day God blesses me with knowing that he doesn't owe me, or anyone else, another breath on this earth. Thanks for all your prayers already.

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment