Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The quest for water

One pull of the finger in and there it is: a perfect cylindrical clear stream of the most life-sustaining element on earth: water. These past ten days I have been living in rural Chapchowra, Uganda. It is a beautiful village residing in the foothills of Mt. Elgon bordering Uganda and Kenya.  Running water is for the small wealthy percentage in Uganda, so I have adapted to this lifestyle of not having it. but what I haven’t adapted to is walking long distances to retrieve water on my head. Most people carry the large 20L jerrycans on their head (which I calculated to be 42 pounds), but I can only do a 10L. I would even put myself on the stronger end of the spectrum for females, and there was no way I was getting that thing on my head. And there are women carrying a baby in a sling on their back with a 20L on their head, walking down steep terrain. African women are strong!


The kitchen and the dog
What happens when the well is dry? You see its rainy season here, which means water must be used conservatively because having dry wells is common. This past week I experienced this first hand. After lunch, and after lunch’s dishes, my mom and I always go and fetch water. It is about an 8 minute walk to the nearest well, really not too bad, although these were the foothills, so there is no flat ground. Steep walking up hills is required anywhere you go. So we went to our usual place to retrieve water with our empty jerrycans, and found that the tap was dry. Oh no. my mom doesn’t fret because she knows the other sources; so we pick up our feet and walk another 12 minutes to the next source. Dry.  Okay well this isn’t good, my mom comments. So we must keep trying. We need water. There is no “we can get it later”. We have to cook, do dishes, bathe, and drink. There is no other choice but to keep trying; there is no other option. We trek on another 15 minutes to the next source. Dry. Again. This is a real big problem, my mom explains. Water was here yesterday and the day before as the people who were with us were saying. I don’t understand the local language but I could see on everyone’s faces how tired they were and effect of the problem at hand. We all now travel in a pack with other people who share the same desperation for water as we do. We now had to walk to the furthest source, another 15 minutes away. 
carrying Metoke on my head (African style of course)

making home-made coffee and g-nut sauce
By this time I am tied (from walking all the hills), hot (from the blazing sun), and thirsty( the only reason keeping me going at this point). As we approach our fourth attempt at water, alas, a crowd of people are gathered around the spring all waiting in line with their containers to be filled. After filling, I watched my 10-year old sister sling a 20L on her head and then proceeded to smile watching myself struggle to do the same with my measly 10L. we walked 45 minutes home. As we reached home I just thought what a journey. And as I removed the water from atop of my head and placed it down in the kitchen, I was reminded of the effort it takes me to nudge my finger and get running water at home, which I can assure you I will never take advantage of again.


1 comment: