Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Home

If you ever get a chance to drive across the country, DO IT. I thought I would be bored out of my mind driving 30 hours by myself, but I was pleasently surprised not to be. I thought North Dakota and Montana would for sure be the worst because they are so flat, but they were my favorite states driving highway 2 across Montana gives you an authentic taste of western small town. The two-way highway runs right through small towns every 30 miles or so-and these towns are western. Whoa. Old wooden buildings, no stoplights, rodeos, and men working hard labor in the field strutt'in their cowboy boots and hats-get me one of those! If God called me to a small town in Montana, I could do it.
About 1,600 miles from Grand Rapids, as I could sense myself getting near the end of Montana, the road opened up and there in the horizon, the mountains covered my entire dashboard. I've been looking at flat for 28 hours and all the sudden beautiful, snow-covered, mountains start speaking to me. I cried. I don't exactly know why I get emotional, but I would guess its a combination between complete awe and the feeling like I'm going home. See there is a piece of me that resides in the wilderness; and whenever I get to go back to the mountains, it's as if my heart is reuniting with a piece of itself that stays there. I can't explain it; I can only attempt to describe the feeling. But I feel like I'm home.
I am driving up to Swiftcurrent tonight to get all moved in. I drove up earlier and when I got on that road and saw swiftcurrent lake, I thought I was going to pass out because it was so beautiful. Everyone out here has a wild heart....we will all be great friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment